In 72 B.C. the Roman General Pompey, founded a Roman colony on the site where Saint-Bertrand-de-Comminges stands today. At its peak, the citadel had a population of 30,000. In 585 the site was razed to the ground by the invading Burgundians and remained deserted for nearly five centuries. In 1083 the bishop of Comminges ordered the construction of the cathedral and of the Romanesque cloister, shortly after he was canonised and became known as Saint-Bertrand. The term Comminges itself comes from the Latin word "Convenae", meaning "those who came together". A 70 minute drive from Le Belvedere, it is also well worth visiting the nearby Basilique Saint-Just de Valcabrère, a popular historic destination.